The New York Institute of Art and Design offers an online event planning course and because we do, we like to provide free tips for event planners. Enjoy!
Believe it or not, organizing a last minute event doesn’t have to be the overwhelming ordeal you think it is. In fact, with the help of a little creativity, you’ll likely discover you already have most necessary party planning elements lying around the house. If you’re having trouble tapping into that eleventh hour energy and need some St. Patrick’s Day party ideas this year, try these 6 options for cheap, innovative repurposing in a pinch.
1. Festive food- One of the easiest ways to incorporate festivity into an event is by channeling the character of the holiday by way of the menu. Being that St. Patrick’s Day is a celebration of all things green and gold, try to consider this when deciding what you’ll serve your guests. Want to make fruit and vegetable trays? Think string beans and yellow peppers or green grapes and pineapple cubes.
2. Drink Options for Everyone- When it comes to thoughtful hosting, you always need to keep in mind the demographic of all guests. Might adult invitees with families bring their young children along? Although St. Patrick’s Day is characteristically a celebratory drinking holiday for many, be sure to accommodate underage guests as well if you anticipate hosting any.
3. Upgrade your Interior Space- If the party you’re planning isn’t being held at a public venue, there are still lots of easy options you can rely on in an effort to quickly redesign some festivity into any home. Getting started, free holiday printables can be quickly found online, printed out and swapped into existing picture frames around the house, adding a thoughtful touch of festivity in less than 10 minutes.
4. Games- It’s important to provide your guests with some form of entertainment or activity in order to maintain the active momentum of a party. If you like the idea of quick online printables, the same option exists for party competitions as well- think trivia, themed holiday bingo or scavenger hunts (if you’re hosting kids). If you have a camera you don’t mind using at said party, makeshift photo booth props can be found, printed and cut out as well.
5. Repurpose your Décor- Considering the simple green and gold aesthetic guidelines of this event, explore your holiday storage bins in search of any accessories that correspond. Got green and red Christmas ornaments packed away? Grab the green ones and fill a large bowl to serve as a simple (and free) centerpiece.
6. Music- This is another crucial element to maintaining upbeat party momentum, and yet another element of event planning that can be executed at an extremely low (or nonexistent) cost. If you have a Spotify account, you can search and flag a free, premade St. Patrick’s Day playlist to plug into speakers on repeat for the night.