The New York Institute of Art and Design offers online AutoCAD classes and because we do, we like to provide free tips for aspiring planners. Enjoy!
Whether you’re already proficient in AutoCAD or just a beginner looking to learn something new, this computer-aided drawing tool is an absolute life-saver for design professionals who want to boost efficiency and workflow speed.
Developed by Autodesk and used by millions of creatives worldwide, AutoCAD can totally streamline your drafting workflow for several reasons.
- Computer-aided drawing is much faster than freehand drawing.
- Since so many aspects of floorplans are repetitive, the copy/paste abilities of AutoCAD cuts workflow nearly in half, saving all that time you would otherwise spend redrawing certain elements over and over by hand.
To speed things up even more, there are a handful of tricks we recommend you further explore and add to your routine.
Take a Comprehensive Online AutoCAD Course
Specifically, you should know that the program provides you with isometric snap, grid and ortho. These are tools you can use to support you in your isometric drawings, and they’re helpful ones to master.
- If you set the snap style to isometric, the cursor will automatically change so that the horizontal line switches to a 30 degree angle.
- If you turn on ortho, the lines you draw will be automatically forced to the correct angles.
- If you ever want to switch the cursor between either side of the object you’re drawing, simply press your control key and then click the letter ‘e’ on your keyboard. When you do this, the cursor will then switch between either side to align with the proper angles needed to draw an isometric.
- If you’re in isometric view but you are trying to represent circles, you need to use the ELLIPSE command. By doing this, you can create an elongated circle, and it will appear to be aligned with all the other objects in a given drawing.
If this all seems overwhelming, fear not. This AutoDesk approved online AutoCAD course is entirely self-paced (no deadlines, no due-dates), meaning you can work from home whenever you’re ready to login and get started.
Learn more about AutoCAD Careers
You’ll get special access to a student version of the program so you can practice as you go. We'll show you how to locate and apply all the tricks and features of AutoCAD that automate the drafting process so you can make your own floorplans and drawings like a pro. Click here to learn more!