The New York Institute of Art and Design offers an online wedding planning course, and because we do, we like to offer free tips for wedding planners. Enjoy!
Wedding planning can be an interesting, fast-paced career. Itâ€™s popular among young women who love reading about, talking about, and attending weddings looking for a career in a field that theyâ€™re passionate about.
No wonder the profession is growing at close to 33% over the next 10 years according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
If you hope to become a professional wedding planner, here are five things you should know:
- Itâ€™s a relationship business. Not only are you working closely with the couple, you are going to be responsible for organizing a number of other vendors to make the big day go off without a hitch. From musicians and DJs, to caterers, venues, and suppliers, you will be in charge of making sure everyone is getting what they need and on the same page. Strong people skills are vital.
- Itâ€™s all about the bride. At the end of the day, the bride has a vision of what her wedding should look and feel like. Itâ€™s your job to make sure that vision is carried through to the end product. Help her, guide her, but most importantly, make sure she is happy.
- Wedding day will be hectic. There is no getting around it. Prepare for the day of the wedding to be a fast-paced, round-the-clock effort for you and anyone on your team that might be helping out. In order to pull off a great wedding, the wedding planner needs to be in fifty different places at once.
- Working for yourself is tough. Wedding planners should get their start with a firm that has experience planning weddings. There you will learn everything that goes into signing clients, working with vendors, and planning the event. Many wedding planners dream of working for themselves, but a solid, real-world experience working for someone else can be vital to your career.
- The right training can make all the difference. While wedding planning does not require any kind of degree or licensing, itâ€™s never a bad idea to learn the business and the skills youâ€™ll need from a reputable source. That might be an online school like NYIAD, it may be from a professional organization like ABC, or it may be working under someone who is more experienced in the profession. Whatever path you choose, recognize that the more you learn, the more prepared youâ€™ll be to plan that perfect day for countless couples in the future.