The New York Institute of Art and Design offers wedding planner certification and because we are, we like to provide free tips for wedding planners. Enjoy!
Every wedding presents its own unique set of hurdles and challenges for the planner. Destination weddings are no exception to this rule.
For couples that want to get married somewhere exotic, it’s less about the design and décor of a wedding, and more about the details of travel and timing. The location of the wedding will answer a lot of the typical questions you have for the couple.
You’ll often use local vendors and base the theme of the wedding off of the essence of whatever location you’re in, i.e. serving local food. But there are several questions you’ll need to ask yourself as a planner preparing for a destination wedding:
- Do the local resorts offer special wedding packages that you can take advantage of?
- Does the local resort have relationships with vendors you can use, such as photographers, DJs, and bands?
- Will guests need any special documents, i.e. passports, health records, etc.?
- If the couple wants a religious officiant, what are the local customs and regulations for that denomination?
- Are there airlines or travel agencies that will provide group travel rates?
- What activities will guests have available to them in the days leading up to the wedding?
- Do you need to visit the location in advance of the wedding to scout the venue and meet the vendors?
- Do you need to help guests with travel and accommodations?