The New York Institute of Art and Design offers an online jewelry design course and because we do, we like to provide free tips for aspiring designers. Enjoy!
If you’re an aspiring jewelry designer looking to make a name for your small business, it’s important for you to stay on top of the latest developments and trends in the style world. This year, here are 5 jewelry designs that made repeated appearances at the Prada and Chanel Spring/Summer 2017 shows:
- Statement necklaces- A constantly recirculated and popular accessory, the statement necklace is seemingly making another comeback this spring. If you’ve never made one before and need some guidance, check out NYIAD’s How to Make a Statement Necklace tutorial for some help.
- Statement earrings- These aren’t quite as common of a trend as statement necklaces, so as jewelry design experts we’re extremely excited to see them back on the runway. With a funky futuristic feel, most of the looks we noticed featured graphic innovative shapes and bright colors.
- Minerals- Healing natural crystals are becoming more and more popular across all realms of design. From interior décor to art exhibits, we’ve been seeing the rise of uncut, raw mineral artistry for several months, and the movement is now making its way onto the runway by way of jewelry design as well.
- Chokers- These became super popular this winter, and they’re officially here to stay- with some fresh updates. Some of the most interesting designs we noticed were made of funky materials like leather or silk. Others had understated tiny accent charms or longer ties in the back.
- Wearing One Earring Only- This look ties into the growing popularity of the statement earring trend, as the one earring warn was typically a very loud, bold one. As a designer who maybe struggles with sales, it’s important to remember that clients are often more likely to buy your pieces if you’re able to help them visualize when/where/how to wear them. If you make a pair of statement earrings, consider showing buyers some fun runway shots of models flaunting this fun look.
Want to learn more? The New York Institute of Art and Design offers an online jewelry design course that can teach you how to create and sell your own unique line of jewelry. Request your free course catalog today!