If you’re thinking about beginning a creative career, you might have a lot of questions before getting started. Creative careers don’t often seem like the type that require an education, since a particular level of talent is necessary to excel. However, even the most talented people can benefit from education and training. Online school, in particular, is a great place to get started if you’re looking to enhance your creative skills for a more fulfilling career.
What are the benefits of learning creative skills online?
If you’re looking to start school for the first time or are debating returning to your studies after some time off, you’ve likely discovered that there are a lot of options out there. Online programs are becoming increasingly popular, however, that doesn’t mean you don’t have a lot of questions about this type of education. Perhaps one of the most important questions you may be asking is “what are the benefits of learning online?”. Furthering your education is always valuable, but there are some unique benefits to online learning..
- Learn at your own pace. No two people are the same, so no two learners are the same. With self-paced, online learning at the New York Institute of Art and Design, you study as quickly or as slowly as you want. If you’re someone who excels working at a fast pace, you can work on as many courses as you feel you can handle. If you’re someone who feels that slow and steady wins the race, you are able to take your time, focusing on the work until you feel ready to move onto something new.
- Learn on your own time. Self-paced courses also mean studying when and where you want. There are no set class times like with in-person instruction, so you don’t have to rearrange your life or responsibilities to make room for furthering your education. You create whatever study schedule you need to work with your timeline. There’s no need to rearrange work schedules or miss family events.
- It’s affordable. Because there is no physical campus, there’s less overhead. That means there’s no cost for things like cooling, heating, cleaning, and maintaining buildings.
- Improve your tech skills. Many fields require strong technical and online skills, so learning online can help give you an advantage by already working with some of the tools and technology frequently used. Also, remote jobs are becoming more prevalent for today’s workforce, so you’ll have the advantage of experience should you find such a position in which to work.
- Chances to advance your career. If you’re already working in a creative field, earning a degree likely isn’t necessary at this stage in your career. However, earning a certificate or career diploma can help you take your career to the next level, providing you with in-demand skills and credentials to help support your work experience.
How can I make the most of learning online?
Online classes are similar to in-person classes. The material isn’t any harder or easier than what you would find in a traditional brick-and-mortar school. The main difference is just a matter of when and where you’re studying. It is important to remember, though, that online school takes a certain amount of discipline. While all types of schooling require hard work, online school involves you taking a few extra steps to help ensure your success.
- Set a study time. Because everything is self-paced and online, you should designate set study times. That doesn’t mean you can’t change your schedule when the need arises, but try to keep a set time each normal day so you’re less likely to procrastinate and fall behind.
- Dedicate a learning space. It doesn’t have to be fancy but setting aside a little corner of space for studies will help keep you organized and prevent you from getting distracted or overwhelmed by clutter.
- Limit distractions. Your home space and your study environment are likely to be the same, so it’s important to not let regular distractions get in the way. Just like you wouldn’t watch TV or use your cell phone in class, put electronics away or turn them off. Also let other members of the household know what your study schedule is to keep them from interrupting unnecessarily.
How much does learning online cost?
While online programs at NYIAD are affordable, the costs depend on which program you choose. But no matter which program you choose, your tuition covers most materials. There are also monthly payment plans available as well as discounts for paying in full at the start of your program. If you decide to take more than one course, there are additional discounts available so you can maximize your investment. See our tuition page to check out current costs for each program.
Get creative with NYIAD
If you’re ready to build your creative skills through affordable online education, call a Student Services representative at 1-800-583-1736 or enroll online to get started today!