Complete Course in Fiction and Memoir Writing
Everybody’s got a great book inside them. This course will help you get it out into the world.
- Practice the technique of free-writing – the secret most professional writers use to strengthen their writing muscles. Start with this technique and the rest will follow.
- Building good writing habits is a discipline. Our exercise plan will help you get there. You and your mentor will determine the most effective writing regimen for you.
- Develop characters, conflict, and plot – the essential elements of great storytelling. We’ll take these elements one at a time, break them down, and look at examples of each. With your mentor by your side, you’ll learn to create them your way.
- Learn the merits of traditional and self-publishing. Hear from literary agents and published authors and learn from their experiences.
- Practice editing and revision. Get an evaluation of up to 60 pages from your mentor. Our students report that this feedback is one of the most valuable things they take away from their course.
- Total Course Length - 180 hours, 6 Units
- Course Schedule - Study anywhere, anytime, at your own pace. There are no deadlines or due dates. Start today and we’ll give you up to three years to complete it at no additional cost.
- NYIAD Mentor Program - NYIAD pairs you with a published author for technical support and artistic development throughout your studies with us. He or she is your mentor, there to help make you better.
- NYIAD Student Forum - Access an online forum of students and graduates and share photos, advice, and anything else that’s on your mind.
- NYIAD Graduation Certificate in Writing - yours upon graduation!
Who Enrolls in this Course?
- Writers who want to improve their skills and start writing like a pro
- People who would like to learn how to make a living as a writer
- People who want to write a memoir and would like help getting started
- People who want feedback from a published author on their writing
I love every minute of my NYIAD course. I learned so much and am very thankful for all the help that I received from the team at NYIAD.
– Eileen P., Washington, 2014 NYIAD Graduate